Tuesday, August 19, 2014

PMMC, Pottstown Memorial Medical Center

I wish to compliment Pottstown's largest employer, 
( PMMC ) for a very good experience that I was afforded last week when I spent five days there getting medical treatment. Monday morning, never thinking I'd end up in the hospital, I was advised by a medical person to go to the emergency room ( ER ) since my visual signs were needing immediate attention : excessive swelling, inflammation migrating, infection on the move.

The ER was not too busy, even by their own standers, and my few hours there went by quite smoothly. They do move, seemingly multi tasking all the while, especially the lead  nurse, who, I asked if she was ever caught in a hurricane or a tornado ? Startled, she replied, no ! Where by, I told her, she must have been since she still has a whirlwind stuck in her as she whizzes through her duties. With these parting words up to the fifth floor of the hospital I was spirited.

To room 501, bed 2 with bed 1 empty, I arrived here on a gurney at about 1:30 PM. Squared away fairly quickly, I adapted well to my quarters, all except the hospital bed which took getting used to. With my size and weight it's hard to maneuver efficiently on the mattress while keeping all the cords and hoses freely working. 

A hospital is known by its sounds, things you hear but do not see, but you do imagine what or who is making the sound. Like : moaning or crying out in pain, or squeaking wheels on certain carts, or sounds of certain voices, finally, there's the footsteps up and down the hallway at all times of day or night and the infernal beeping when machines malfunction and keep beeping until someone attends to it.

But, it's the human professional care, the medical expertise that I want to compliment. It's all the people on the Fifth Floor I came in contact with who need to be honored for both their efforts and expertise. Many persons who I came in contact with floated between floors. I respected their care; notably, the respiratory crew, especially Heather and Joe, all of them. Same goes to nurses who gather blood samples every hour day and night as ordered.  Even though they interrupt sleep, they are efficient doing it, smoothly. 

The thrust of my compliments I save for the nursing crews which operate 24/7 on the 5th floor. I'm sure their leader is as exceptional as they are. Even though their names are always visible written on a calk board hanging on the wall, I can only name a few by memory. 
There was Special K, a nickname I gave her because of her dogged determination to find a vein suitable to hook up an IV to it. So memorable were nurses and helpers, the housekeeping staff, everyone. 

Over the years our local hospital has taken harsh and unwarranted criticism so today I want to set the record straight. In so many very personal ways caring for people is difficult and intrusive. Knowing this and, by a keep caring attitude, professionals, all in all, are truly a responsible team, whom I applaud.

Ronald C. Downie






No comments:

Post a Comment