Saturday, June 14, 2014

Writing 

How long ago was it, when I found it very hard to put onto paper my thoughts, that my muse had left me ?
Yes, it was a while back when I still used pens or pencils and note paper, now I use an iPad and peck away putting words together on a screen. The difficulty still plagues me when I want to write but little, if anything, develops from worrying about it. I call that the muse having left me, inspiration gone away.

It's at these times that I refer back to a poem by William Carlos Williams, "The Red Wheelbarrow". A short poem of ten lines with no line more than three words. "So much depends / upon" are the opening two lines. These four words open up a world of wonderment to be explored by a writer, especially, one who writes poetry.

Poetry nor prose can resist the impulse to put into words thoughts conjured up when this phrase pops up, "so much depends". Everything in life depends on something else since the interdependence of all life is intertwined within each life force. 

"The Red Wheelbarrow"

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

by William Carlos Williams

Ronald C.Downie



No comments:

Post a Comment