Friday, January 11, 2013

Bonnie Lea Downie

A Birthday Wish for my oldest daughter.

Bonnie Lea Downie

"My Bonnie lies over the ocean,
My Bonnie lies over the sea,
My Bonnie lies over the ocean,
Oh bring back - bring back,
Oh bring back, my Bonnie to me."

Whether by verse or song these words ring
As mellow today as they ever have.
From a heritage steeped in Scottish lore
You, my first born, carry this mantel well.

Your first day on Earth was in cold winter,
And like all birthdays, it's the same each year,
The date won't change, but the weather could.
Bundle up, wear a hat, scarf, boots, warm socks.

Each day that advances, adds a minute
To day's light, looking toward equinox.
Later in the spring, accelerating,
For birds, bulbs, and branches sweet of flowers.

The inevitable march of seasons
Ushers forward a sweet advance toward
Warmth, sunshine, and breezes full of comfort.
Years, though, may not be so hospitable.

Musical strains of the opening stanza
Are evident more on this, your birthday,
But, are with the family all year round.
May the Lords of Good Health look after you.

Happy Birthday,
Love, Dad & Connie

K

No comments:

Post a Comment