Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The State Of my Union

The State Of My Union

When I stand before you, rest in peace, don't worry,
Be happy, I'm just a local yokel waiting my endpoint.
Made over 3/4 of a century on this sphere, no hurry, 
No timetables to worry about, no heroes to anoint :

Then I assemble my score cards of accomplishments,
Those years in business after a busy sport's life.
When public sector called I found few compliments :
School Board, Borough Council, Authority, and strife :

And then after taking up writing poetry, I mellowed
Into a gruff old man, seeking rhythm juggling rhyme.
Hour after hour fingering my iPad, note page yellow,
I arrived at some combination of words, just in time.

I wouldn't change a day! Hell No! Who am I kidding ?
Many days pondered, Why Me ? Life's harsh bidding.

Ronald C. Downie

No comments:

Post a Comment